MANDUKYA UPANISHAD : Chapter-1. "AGAMA PRAKARANA" ( The Scriptural Treatise ) Mantram-2, Discussion- 12.
( The Scriptural Treatise )
"Sarvam hyetad Brahma, ayam-atma Brahma,
so' yam-atma catuspat."
sarvam - all;
hi - indded;
brahma - this (is) BRAHMAM;
ayam atma brahma - this Self ( ATMA IN US ) is BRAHMAM;
sah - That ( BRAHMAM );
ayam atma - ( which is ) this Self ( ATMA IN US );
catuspat - ( is ) covered with four quarters ( PARTS ).
"All this is verily BRAHMAM. This is BRAHMAM. This JIVATMA ( ATMA WITHIN US ) has four quarters ( parts )."
1. Not that the Indivisible Reality has ever got divided into any parts.
2. Sri Swami Adi Sankaracharya, in his commentary especially pointed out that the term quarter (pada ) does not mean here 'limbs' just as the four legs of a cow!
3. If we accept this dictionary-meaning, we would get the entire Vedantik spirit misconstructed and misunderstood.
4. If we accept that there are 'four limbs,' then it would makeb the homogeneous Reality entertain in difference in Itself ( svagata bheda ).
5. That which has any differentiation within itself would become a 'substance,' the Reality would then also become finite and perishable.
To be continued ...